Hangovers – Its that time of the year again!
So, what causes a hangover?
The principle cause is ethanol – the alcohol in your drinks. It is a toxic chemical that works the body as diuretic (which means it makes you go to the loo more and results in dehydrated). This is one of the main causes of headache, dry mouth, dizziness and constant nausea. Your hangover eases as the body turns the ethanol into a less toxic chemical.
Ideally after a good night out, prevention is the best medicine and drinking a glass or two of water or a soft drink before going to bed, and again at intervals during the night if you wake up should help. If, however, you “forget” to do this before falling into bed, then why not try out some of these healthy hangover cures:
- Vitamin C and Milk thistle are a great combo, before and after the night out. Milk thistle protects the liver and lessens the hangover. These can be purchased in droplet form or as tablets from most health food shops.
- Lemon in warm water next day. Alcohol is quiet acidic, whereas lemon/water makes the body more alkaline.
- Nettle or dandelion tea the next morning again helps flush out the toxins and clear out the liver
- Banana and Kiwi’s (the fruit that is) are supposed to be good as they are full of potassium, which may have been lost by the body as the alcohol is a diuretic.
- Lots of quality filtered water the following day will again help to flush out the system.
- Lots of vegetables and good quality food. Green juice (if you have a juicer) is excellent to get nourishment back into the cells.
For more great tips and ideas please come and join our community today.